Disgraced former prosecutor Mike Nifong pleaded not guilty Thursday to criminal contempt charges stemming from his failure to turn over complete DNA testing results during the now-discredited Duke lacrosse rape case.
A tearful Mike Nifong said Friday he will resign as district attorney, more than a year after he obtained rape indictments against three Duke University lacrosse players who were later declared innocent by state prosecutors
Durham County District Attorney Michael Nifong, who was behind the initial prosecution of three former Duke lacrosse players on charges of sexually assaulting an exotic dancer, publicly apologized to the men Thursday.
So what was the Duke lacrosse rape case anyway? A hoax? A failure to speak truth to power? A journalistic breakdown? Or was that year-long academic, civic, athletic and sociological trainwreck indeed what North Carolina attorney general Roy Cooper branded a "tragic rush to accuse"? Take your pick: All kinds of labels got tossed around in the wake of Cooper's dismissal Wednesday of all charges against the accused players. And why not? For so long, the team and the events at that infamous March 13, 2006 party had been used as a vessel for so many different themes -- Racism! Power! Privilege! Sexism! -- that it's only fitting to find the endgame just as cluttered. But the fact is, with Cooper's extraordinary statement that Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans are not just "not guilty" but "innocent" of the charges of sexual assault and kidnapping, the need for such puffery dissolved. Everything in Durham got smaller. Nearly everything seemed clear.
North Carolina's attorney general Wednesday blasted what he called a "tragic rush to accuse and a failure to verify serious allegations" after all charges were dropped in the sexual assault case against three former Duke University lacrosse players.
The defense for one of three Duke University lacrosse players charged with raping an exotic dancer at an off-campus team party asked a judge Thursday for access to a cell phone the woman carried that night.
Defense attorneys for two Duke University lacrosse players charged with rape are questioning the process by which the accuser identified her alleged attackers, a source close to the defense told CNN Friday.